Sunday 9 May 2010

Adding Interactivity to the Site

I have long since wanted to make it possible for members to create and update their own profiles on the website and to change their log-ins and passwords for our Members' Area automatically without having to go through me first. Another thing on my wish list is a "lost password" facility that works automatically.

Every six months or so I spend a day or two looking for a solution, but until now all I managed to find were:
  • compromise solutions that are not flexible or customisable enough for our needs and, for this reason, are actually less good than what we already have.
  • cheap solutions that would do the job well but require programming skills that are technically beyond my capabilities.
  • excellent solutions that provide exactly what we need and more, but are far too expensive to even consider. 
However, I think I may now have found something that fits the bill, and I will be testing it over the next week. If it does what I hope it will do, there will be a fair amount of reorganisation of the Members' Area and the members' listings. The messaging part of DepList will not be affected in any way, since that's an entirely separate part of the service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.